The Chinese company has launched their new flagship series, the Mi 8, which originally was supposed to be called Mi 7, and which comes some incredible specs at more than decent prices.
The phones come as most recent Android smartphones with a notched screen, but this time the Mi 8’s notch, unlike other Android competitors, houses a 3D facial recognition system, like Apple’s iPhone X. However, we have to mention that there are two versions of Mi 8, and the one with 3D recognition is called Explorer Edition. The standard version has facial recognition based on infrared sensors.
The design of the phones looks really good, even if they resembles a lot with the iPhone X. The Explorer version has a transparent back. Regarding the specs, the Mi 8 series offers plenty of configuration, with 6GB or 8GB of RAM, and internal storage from 64GB up to 256GB storage.
The two new smartphones pack a dual camera, which has a high score on DxOMark, 99 points, the same score as the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.
Find the full list of specifications below.
Price-wise, Xiaomi Mi 8 series is doing very well. It offers top end features with some more advanced components than those of many big competitors, including Samsung, but the prices are more than decent.
The Explorer version also comes with a fingerprint sensor integrated into the screen, while the standard version has a classic sensor located on the back.
Mi 8 – 6GB RAM + 64GB storage: 2,699 yuan – 360 euro / 420 dollars
Mi 8 – 6GB RAM + 128GB storage: 2,999 yuan – 400 euro / 470 dollars
Mi 8 – 6GB RAM + 256GB storage: 3,299 yuan – 400 euro / 510 dollars
Mi 8 Explorer Edition – 8GB RAM + 256GB storage: 3,699 yuan – 495 euro / 575 dollars
Xiaomi Mi 8 / Mi 8 Explorer Edition specifications
- 6.21-inch (2248 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 18:7:9 AMOLED display with 600 nits brightness, 60000:1 contrast ratio, DCI-P3 color gamut
- 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 630 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB / 128GB / 256GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB (UFS 2.1) storage in Mi 8 Explorer Edition
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9, upgradable to MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 12MP rear camera with 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, Optical zoom, 4K video recording, secondary 12MP rear camera with Samsung S5K3M3 sensor, f/2.4 aperture, 1.0µm pixel size, 2X zoom
- 20MP front-facing camera with real-time AI portraits
- IR Face unlock (Mi 8) / 3D Face unlock (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)
- Fingerprint sensor (Mi 8) / in-display fingerprint sensor (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)
- Dimensions: 154.9×74.8x 7.6 mm; Weight: 175g (Mi 8) ; 177g (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3400mAh (typ) / 3300mAh (min) battery with Quick Charge 4+ fast charging (Mi 8) / 3000mAh (typ) / 2900mAh (min) with Quick Charge 4+ fast charging (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)