Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania continue to offer a sustainable workplace, by involving the employees in implementing the Integrated Quality, Health & Safety and Environment management system. Thus, the resources are used efficiently, contributing to a better protection of the environment.
In 2013, Romtelecom and COSMOTE efficiently used their resources and obtained important results in protecting the environment by reducing the consumption on different areas and by recycling materials:
- 4 million of electric energy kilowatts were saved by COSMOTE network due to specific energy saving measures implemented in 2013;
- 1,073 kg of electronic equipment and 783 kg of batteries from stores and warehouses were recycled for both companies;
- Over 100% more phones and accessories were collected by COSMOTE in stores and offices compared to 2012, while the portable batteries collected quantity increased by almost 15%;
- 1,356.7 tons of technological waste resulted from network maintenance and 28.69 tons of industrial batteries were sent to be recycled by Romtelecom;
- 3.8 tons of IT equipment were sent by COSMOTE to recycling;
- 23.5 tons of paper were sent to recycling from office activities for both companies;
- The paper quantity used in COSMOTE offices and stores decreased by 27%, while the quantity sent to recycling was higher by 100% than in 2012;
- 9,000 trees were planted near Alexandria, respectively Ploiesti, by Romtelecom and COSMOTE’s employees.
“Every year, we continue implementing environmental programs for offices, stores, warehouses and telecommunications networks, programs which help us improve the volumes of saved and recycled resources. Among these, Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania’s employees actively and decisively support the sustainable development of the environment”, stated Ruxandra Voda, Corporate Communication Director Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania.
Moreover, every year, Romtelecom and COSMOTE employees essentially contribute, as volunteers, in implementing various programs for environment protection such as Green Office, I Love Recycling, Forest Cross or Adopt a Forest. Since 2008, Green Office has been a successful program focused on educating the companies’ employees to reuse and recycle the resources in the office-based activities. In 2014, Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania will also implement an internal communication campaign that will contribute to the in-depth study regarding the Integrated Quality, Health & Safety and Environment management system, and generate awareness regarding the selective collection and the reducing of the resources consumption.
Romtelecom and COSMOTE Romania will continue to carefully monitor the other consumptions of resources within the two companies such as water, fuel oil and electricity in the telecommunications network. Also, the two companies send to recycling excess materials from warehouses (cardboard, plastic)andburnt oil lubricants from generators from base stations.
With an expertise of over 80 years on the Romanian telecom market, Romtelecom offers today a complex range of communication and entertainment services covering all the needs of a household, with personalized packages including television, internet and voice. At the end of Q1 2014, Romtelecom had over 4.84 million RGUs for TV, broadband internet and voice, as well as complex business ICT solutions. More information about the company is available on www.romtelecom.ro.
About COSMOTE Romania
COSMOTE Romania had 6 million customers at March 31st, 2014. Launched in 2005, COSMOTE Romania achieved the fastest network development in Europe, according to the Citigroup report in June 2007. In less than 5 years, COSMOTE Romania surpassed its competitors in terms of national network coverage. Today, COSMOTE Romania offers seamless communication to more than 99% of the population and 90% of the territory. COSMOTE Romania is a subsidiary of COSMOTE Group, the operator with the strongest presence in SE Europe with approximately 15.5 million customers. For more information, visit www.cosmote.ro.