Apple has another iPhone that exploded to deal with. This time the circumstances are a little bit too strange, as the iPhone 7 Plus that caught fire was checked just a day before.
Brianna Olivas, the owner of the phone, took it a day before back to the Sprint store where she had purchased, because it won’t turn on. The Sprint employee said that even though the phone “looked weird” when he got it to turn on, a diagnostics check showed no problem at all with the handset.
The next morning, Brianna’s boyfriend took the phone off of the official Apple charger and put it on the dresser. After handling nature’s call, he noticed out of the corner of his eye that the phone was smoking. He picked it up and tossed it into the bathroom, where it exploded.
“I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser. He went to the restroom … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom … as soon as he threw [it] in the restroom, it blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.”-Brianna Olivas.
Apple has replaced the phone, and a company spokesman said that “We are in touch with the customer and looking into it.” An Apple Store Genius reportedly told Olivas after examining the device, that he had never seen anything like it.