Apple AirPod blew up in Florida – the user was lucky!

- Adrian Ungureanu
1097

A rather worrying incident happened in Florida, US, where an Apple AirPods user said one of the earpieces caught on fire.

According to the owner, Jason Colon, he was at a gym and was listening to music while exercising. All of a sudden the headphones stopped working. He pulled his headphones out of his ears and put them on one of sports equipment in the gym.

He went to call someone for help, and when he came back the right piece was almost melted and from the footage shown on the WFLA News Channel 8 the earpiece looks completely torn. Some parts are even charred, a sign that there it caught on fire.

Aware of how lucky he was for taking the earpiece of just in time, Jason Colon said, “I don’t know what would’ve happened to my ear”. “But I’m sure since it hangs down, it could’ve been [my] ear lobe. Ear lobe could’ve been burnt”, Colon added.

The owner of the headphones thinks it’s a battery failure. Apple has been notified and has announced that they will investigate this incident.

Batteries in AirPods are quite small and no one can confirm the incident beside the owner. So until Apple does not solve the mystery behind the malfunction we can not be sure what happened.

The story may not be real. It is very possible to be a unique case that happened under special conditions, but until we have some official news, if you notice something wrong with your AirPods, you better get them out of your ears.

We’ll try to keep you up to date as soon as new information will be out.